• Three Forks Hot Springs is one of the most remote Oregon soaking spots
• It sits on the Owyhee River in a scenic Oregon high desert canyon
Three Forks Hot Springs, or more accurately Three Forks Warm Springs, is an undeveloped soaking spot in the Eastern Oregon high desert about 40 miles south of Jordan Valley. It sits near the junction of three forks of the Owyhee River giving the spring its name.
Here you can enjoy healing mineral water soak with a stunning view of a riverside canyon stretching out before you with mesmerizing blue sky and riverbank greenery.
There are several sources of geothermal mineral water. It comes out of the ground at about 95°F (35°C) and cools down more in the pools. There are multiple soaking spots you can choose from on both the west and the east sides of the river.
East bank pools are smaller, while ones on the west bank are bigger and feature a large pool on top of the rocky formation with warm mineral water cascading down to another one. Water flows at a volume of about 3000 liters per minute keeping those two soaking spots incredibly clean.
One of the smaller pools has a miniature waterfall running on the 45° slope that can be used as a water slide for kids and adults.
Be careful when trying to ford the river to get access to the west bank.
This is not the easiest location to get to, but it also means that you have a high chance to enjoy the solitude. High clearance 4-wheel-drive vehicle is necessary to ensure a safe journey. Most of your drive will be a dirt road with the last 3 miles of your way being the roughest with steep areas. Some travelers leave their vehicles behind and hike the final few miles to their destination. Rainy season makes the road impassable and even the 4-wheel-drive vehicle can get stuck.
Please, keep in mind that the warm springs sit on private land. The owner allows public access to the soaking pools, so please be respectful of the property. Three Forks Recreation Site near the warm springs features 5 primitive camping sites, restrooms, and a boat lunch. There are no cellphone reception in this area and no services nearby.
Three Forks Hot Springs | Facts
Location: 39 miles north of Jordan Valley • Eastern Oregon • USA
Open: Year-round, road-accessible during dry season
Accommodations: Camping at Three Forks Recreation Site
Hiking distance: Up to 3 miles if your vehicle cannot make last miles
Road access: High clearance 4WD vehicle
Day-use fees: None
Managed by: Private Land
Elevation: 4,000 ft (1,219 m)
Directions to Three Forks Hot Springs
From Highway 95 at Jordan Valley,
- Take Highway 95 West for 16 miles
- At Three Forks and the Soldier Creek Watchable Wildlife Loop sign turn left
- Continue on a dirt road for 27 miles to the junction and then turn right
- After a few miles you will arrive to Owyhee Canyon rim edge, Three Forks Recreation Site will be underneath it
From Three Forks Recreation Site you can either hike to the Three Forks Hot Springs or drive if you have a high clearance 4WD
- From Three Forks Recreation Site Head southeast toward Fenwick Ranch Road
- Turn right at the 1st cross street onto Fenwick Ranch Road and follow it for 0.6 miles
- Slight right onto Fields Creek Reservoir Road and follow it for 0.8 miles
- Turn right onto an unnamed road and proceed to your destination for 1.3 miles.